A New Hobby

Standard

Since the new year I have started quilting.  I started out by  cutting and piecing the bricks for a full sized quilt based on this one.  It will be full of some wonderfully bright batiks I picked up from Keepsake Quilting with my sisters.  I decided not to assemble the top, however, because I was afraid it would be far too unwieldy to quilt on my own.  I have since finished a mini-quilt based on this tutorial where I got in some practice with straight-line quilting.  I quilted and bound the whole thing during Winter Storm Nemo after school was cancelled for the day.

I’ve got the bug now, though.  I decided to pull out my bricks last night and lay out the design.  Now I’m piecing the bricks into blocks of four bricks which I will connect up after.  Unfortunately, part of the reason I stopped the piecing before was that I did not have a 1/4 inch foot, so I eyeballed the piecing of the bricks (which I’m not sure were cut all that well to begin with).  A lot of them are off by up to 1/8 inch.  I’m hoping that constructing the blocks in this way, unlike the tutorial where they are assembled in strips will help me to get a more even quilt.  The batiks are hiding the abnormalities a bit, but I would like to have the corners as tight as possible.

Image

I’ll post pictures later.  Unfortunately, I left my camera at my parents’ house over Christmas and will not be able to get it back until the weekend.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s