I did it! I did it! I did it! I finally finished the wedding quilt top (only a week after the wedding, whatever… it will be either a first Christmas or an anniversary gift).
It’s a modified version of the Dissappearing Four-Patch from this tutorial. I used 6 1/2 inch blocks to start and sliced 1 1/4 inches on each side of the seams. I found some useful techniques while cutting these, so I may make my own tutorial later in the summer. The biggest: buy a rotating cutting mat. It makes everything so very much easier.
There are some special facbrics in this quilt. In addition to a beautiful shot cotton and some great prints, there are two Spoonflower prints. A lobster print for my niece, she has a HUGE thing for lobsters and seems to have quite the collection of random lobster things, and a rooster quilt for her husband, who it seems is equally fond of roosters.
A note on Spoonflower prints: they definitely print lighter than you expect. It wasn’t bad, but I was expeting more of a navy for the lobsters and it came out more of a dusty royal blue. Other than that, they are wonderful and just what I needed to make the quilt special.
There is a 3 inch (finished) border of grey surrounded by 6 inch piano keys. I made the piano keys by strip piecing 2 1/2 inch strips into groups of 3-5, then cutting them down to 6 1/2 inches. Then I just laid them out randomly and got a great, easy border.